About Turning Point™
Co-founded by Kay Conroy and Mary Paula Walsh in 1986, Turning Point™ was one of the first organisations in Ireland to offer Humanistic and Integrative Counselling and Psychotherapy services.
The organisation was established to fill a perceived gap in psychological supports and services for those experiencing cancer, other life-threatening illnesses, and/or bereavement. Within 2-3 years, Turning Point™ had grown to include a staff of five therapists, and in response to demand, had expanded to offer general psychotherapy services and group workshops, many of which were facilitated by internationally renowned experts in their field, among others, Elisabeth Kübler-Ross, author of the ground breaking book, On Death and Dying, and a regular visitor to Turning Point™.
As the centre grew and flourished, and its reputation as a pioneer in its field spread, the Founders turned their considerable energies and entrepreneurial vision to the development of new services and programmes. In 1997, a two-year part-time diploma in Psychotherapy was developed, and subsequently replaced by two courses leading to a Certificate and a Diploma in Grief Counselling Skills. Out of this original Diploma course grew the generic Integrative Counselling and Psychotherapy Training Course which began in October 1997. Largely because of the Founders’ professional theoretical orientation, personal beliefs and values, and experiences with death, dying, and bereavement, the course has a strong spiritual element.
Today, Turning Point™ sees itself as having made a large contribution in Ireland in the following areas:
- Holistic health – it was the first in Ireland to promote a holistic view of cancer treatment and receive funding from the European Union for this purpose.
- Death and Dying
- Training for voluntary bereavement counselling services throughout Ireland.
- The following are the core values/belief systems embraced by Turning Point’s™ Management team:
- Leadership: influencing individuals, organisations and society; thought leaders (research); pioneers
- Transformation: Facilitating the innate capacity of individuals, organizations, and society for inner transformation and positive growth
- Wisdom: Acknowledging the value of wisdom, to be gained through learning, reflection and/or direct experience
- Hope/optimism: In realizing dreams and coping with adversity
- Simplicity: Reflected throughout all aspects of our operations